Friday, November 2, 2012

Me and my shower cap

When I was a little girl I had long, long, thick hair.  It was to the point that I could sit on it, and it seemed to be the number one way to describe me.  "girl with the long hair."  Anyway it took forever to dry and I hated having my mom brush it so I always wore it in a braid and when I would bath I wore a shower cap.  I never thought much about it because my mom wore them too and I just assumed everyone did.  
Well, when I got older I started having sleepovers and going to dance, and cheer camps and had a shocking realization that absolutely none of my friends wore shower caps.  I was floored.  I never really talked to them about it but for years I thought about it.  I could not comprehend how they prevented their hair from getting wet.   I didn't know if they washed their hair every day or they just re-did the parts that got wet.  I mean I wash my hair when it gets dirty but not every single day!  It would be so dry and brittle it would all break off!  To be honest I still don't get it.  
Things got even more complicated when I got married.  It didn't take long for my sweetie to ask, "what the heck is on your head?"  Me: "a shower cap."  Sweetie: "I thought those were for Grandma's." Me: "That's rude, how am I supposed to keep my hair dry?"  and for weeks Jason would just stare at my head when I had it on. I think he was thinking a mixture of thoughts such as 
"wow I picked an interesting girl/
at least she's confident in herself/
try not to laugh/
at least she looks cute with it on." 
 The good news is three years later he has accepted my shower cap and brings me home the complimentary ones they leave for you in hotel rooms.  
The best part is without fail every time I have to go buy a new shower cap there is always, let me restate that for emphasis ALWAYS a 70+ year old women looking at them with me!  Does it deter me?  Absolutely not!  To this day I hate doing my hair and if that little piece of plastic prevents that than I will proudly wear it for the rest of my life!  
Maybe one day I'll present you with a picture. ( ;

4 comments:

  1. you wear a what?! How old are you! ya, ha ha, I remember finding out your little secret. almost ruined our friendship. not. you wear that shower cap woman! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL!!! Shocking news to me. I thought the entire population of women wore shower caps.
    That's why they give them to you for free in hotel rooms!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! When I was little, I remember learning that my mom did not wash her hair everyday and I thought it was so gross. I was embarrassed about it forever. Then in high school I learned that most of my friends didn't wash their hair everyday either. And the my sister's dermatologist told her she should NOT wash her hair daily because her skin and hair were very dry and it was damaging to them. I eventually realized I have especially oily skin and hair and that when I wash my hair daily, sometimes twice a day, I'm the strange one - go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading your blog honey. Thanks for sharing all your wonderful Thanksgiving pictures. You look like you are good with that shotgun. haha

    xoxo Aunt Janene

    I laughed so hard reading about the shower cap issue. I think we need a picture of all of us in our caps and post a picture. LOL

    ReplyDelete