Monday, February 11, 2013

San Diego

So the day before I left for San Diego this is what it looked like.  Many feet of snow and Cache Valley had some of the worst air quality in the nation.  Jas and Mozzie made the best of it though!

That being said I was pretty excited to arrive to this...



Traveling with a baby gives me a great deal of anxiety.  Especially because Liam had one of the worst break downs I have ever seen the night before at my parents house.  He usually goes to bed so easy but he was off and on crying for about 2 hours before he finally calmed down enough to fall asleep.  I was terrified to get on a plane the next day but the thought of sunshine and fresh air was too much to pass up.  Liam wont usually nap unless he is in his crib, car seat, or stroller so I tried to get him to sleep as much before the flight as possible so he wouldn't be too cranky.  Also I nursed him during take off and landings so his ears wouldn't hurt from pressure changes.  We had a lay over in Vegas that I was dreading because I thought it was just going to make this ordeal so much longer but it turned out to be a good thing.  During the layover we put Liam back in his stroller and he got and hour nap before the next leg of the trip.  It worked out great and overall Liam did amazing!   I couldn't have done it alone so thank goodness my mom was there but he still did great.  It is no easy task keeping a very active 8 month old content on a plane.    

People watching at the airport.

Here are some of the fun sites we love to see when visiting San Diego...
San Diego Temple

We checked out the aircraft carrier the Midway.
Here is Great Grandpa with my Mom and Aunt.  Grandpa did a world tour on an aircraft carrier when he was young so it was fun walking around and hearing his stories about what he remembers.  He was in the band on the carrier and loved it because he got to eat first, and their living quarters were bigger so they could all practice in there.  
Liam with Great Grandpa at Sea Port village.

Enjoying cupcakes and sunsets at Sea Port.  


Pt. Loma Lighthouse
Jason and I are absolute foodies when we travel.  Our trips usually revolve around good places to eat more than sites to see.  We found one that has become one of our new favorites.  It's called Hodad's and if you like burgers and are ever in San Diego you have got to go there!  It was delicious!!!  Also just a fun fact, a Hodad is someone who pretends to be a surfer and hangs out at the beaches but definitely is not.  
I love finding restaurants like this because they are so fun.  This place was small, crowded, and the staff  are a little scruffy but it made it that much more entertaining.  For example in the picture below on the left can you spy my diaper bag???  Because of the lack of space our waiter asked if I wanted him to put my diaper bag somewhere?  I was assuming a coat rack or something so I gave it to him and watched him walkover to the other side of the restaurant and toss it on top of the half a van sticking out of the wall.  My mom commented, "well i guess that works."  
Liam did surprisingly well here too with how loud and crowded it was.  He loves to watch people!
Check out this monstrous burger!  Mmm and the Onion rings were amazing too!  Just in case your wondering Jason did finish that entire thing.  I was very impressed.  
Our visit to the beach was sadly colder than hoped for but still beautiful and I love the smell of the ocean.  I couldn't believe how many people were still surfing though.  brrr that pacific water is cold!

Liam loved getting to spend so much time with Aunt Janene and Grandma!  They sure do love him!
Liam getting to know his Great Grandpa.
Dropping Daddy off at the airport. We got to spend another day there before heading home.


Such a fun trip and glad to be home now!  

2 comments:

  1. Love the pictures of Liam with his Great-Grandpa...too cute. Glad you had a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun week sharing Liam with great grandpa!!

    ReplyDelete