Friday, February 8, 2013

Recipe Back Up Plan

My recipe binder is organized chaos at the moment..I have sticky notes and random pieces of paper stuck all over it with recent recipes I have acquired.   By recent I mean over the last 4 years...  There are a few I absolutely love though and I am afraid I am going to lose them so I am adding them to my blog as sort of a back up!

This first one I got from my friend Arianne and her Mom..It is absolutely delicious and if you divide it before you add the noodles you can freeze it then add the noodles when your ready to eat it.  It makes a TON so I would recommend this if your not serving a small city! There are more delicious recipe's on their blog! http://squiresfamilyties.blogspot.com/

                                     
GRAMLEY’S MIXED UP TACO SOUP
1 ½ LBS.      sweet Italian sausage
1-3               chicken breasts, cooked and cut up
1                  med onion, chopped
1                  red pepper, chopped
2-4               garlic cloves, minced
3-14 oz         cans diced or stewed tomatoes
2-3 c.           bowtie pasta
6-7 c.            chicken broth
1 T.               sugar
Fresh basil, thyme to taste (you can use dried)
1 can               mild Ortega enchilada sauce
Dry taco seasoning mix to taste
1-2 cans          black beans or kidney beans
1 bag               frozen corn (I like sweet, white corn)

Remove casings from sausage and break into pieces.  In a big pot, brown sausage.  Drain sausage drippings.  Saute onion, pepper, garlic until tender.  Add all ingredients except for pasta and corn.  Cook for at least 25-35 minutes.  Add corn and pasta and cook until pasta is tender. 

Garnish with grated cheese, sour cream, avocado, fresh cilantro.  Serve with tortilla chips.   
-------------
This next one is My Mom's Chili and is so stinking easy and delicious I love to make it!  

Mom's Easy Chili
2 Cans Bush's Chili Beans 
1 Can Tomato Sauce
1 Can Kidney Beans (drained)
1-2 Bay Leaves
1 lb cooked hamburger Meat (saute with Onion and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder)

Let Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours.  I like to add fresh chopped onion and grated cheese on top!  Also really good in bread bowls.  

------------

Apple Crisp
4 cups sliced pared tart apples (about 4)
2/3-3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup butter or margarine 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place apple slices in pan.  Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples.  Bake 30 min.  I usually bake in an 8x8x2 size pan.

------------

Grandma's Sugar Cookies
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour cream
1 t baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup flour

I don't have the rest of the recipe but I just make these like you would a typical cookie.  Sugar and margarine first, than the egg, vanilla, sour cream.  Then slowly mix in the dry ingredients.  You don't want your dough too sticky or they will be flat.  It takes some practice getting the right texture but these are a great soft sugar cookie and I usually just get store bought vanilla frosting if I don't have a lot of time.  

------------

Apple Dip

1 package cream cheese
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup heath toffee bits

Mix and enjoy!

------------

My friend Abbey gave me this easy recipe that is delicious!!!  Its one of my new favorites and you can turn it into a freezer meal by just leaving off the toppings and adding them when your ready to bake it.  

Cowboy Casserole 

1 package (8-1/2 ounces) corn bread/muffin mix
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2-1/2 cups cooked taco seasoned meat
1 can refried beans (16 ounces)
1 cup sour cream 
1-1/2 cups shredded cheese
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 medium tomato chopped
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 can sliced rip olives drained (opt.)

In large bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg and milk until blended.  Spread into a greased 9 in square baking dish.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Combine taco meat and beans; spread over corn bread.   Combine sour cream, 1 cup cheese and onion; spread over meat mixture.  Bake for 20-30 minutes longer or until heat through and cheese is melted.   Sprinkle with the tomato, lettuce, olives and remaining cheese.  

------------

Steph's yummy cake frosting

1 pkg. cream cheese
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 bag choc chips (mini)
1 tsp vanilla 
whipping cream or tub of whipped cream
Opt. Peanut butter

Mix and spread.

------------

Melodys Wheat Bread
This is the first bread recipe I have ever learned to make and it is delicious.  I like it best with honey and jam.
6 cups whole wheat flour and 5-6 cups white flour
2 T dry yeast
1 Cup buttermilk or yogurt
4 Cups hot water
1/3 Cup oil
1/3 Cup honey
1/3 Cup Molasses
1 1/2 T salt

In mixer combine 6 c whole wheat four and dry yeast.  Pour buttermilk into hot water.  Add to flour mixture.  Mix well for 1 min.  Turn off mixer, cover bowl and let sponge for 10 min.   Add oil, honey, molasses, and salt.  Mix well.  Add remaining four (white) 1 cup at a time until dough cleans sides of bowl.  Knead for 6-8 minutes (mix on high).  shape dough into four loaves and place in greased bread pans.  cover with towel and let rise till double (around 25-30 min.)  Bake 350 degrees for 30 to 35 min.  makes 4 loaves.  

------------

This next one is my absolute new favorite bread recipe!  It is a little more difficult but if you can get it right it is soft, rich in flavor and amazing fresh out of the oven slathered in warm better and your favorite honey or Jam.  I still haven't mastered it on my own but hopefully with practice I can get there.  My friend Susan has brought it to me a few times and gave me the recipe.  I butchered it so I had a first hand lesson just this morning on how to do it.  I can't believe how much I learned about wheat that I never new.  What makes her bread so delicious is she grinds all of her wheat so its fresh.  She uses a combinations of spelt, white wheat and read wheat that gives it such a good flavor.  To be perfectly honest I had never even heard of red wheat or spelt before I got this recipe so I was a little overwhelmed at first.  Now that i have seen the difference between my bread using store bought wheat flour and hers I am sold on grinding your own wheat if you or someone you know has a wheat grinder.  Also she uses pure honey and we are lucky enough to have Cox's Honey in town where we can get the good stuff for cheaper than the store stuff.  I guess the store bought is cut with corn syrup and that's why there is a bubble in it.  You don't want bubbles in your honey.  Also if your honey is crystallized don't throw it away just heat it up in the microwave or hot water!  whew! what a mouth full, onward to the good stuff!


WHEAT BREAD

6 c. warm water
2 TBS SAF Instant yeast
1/3 c. honey
1/3 c. oil
½ c. applesauce
2 TBS. dry Dough Conditioner
3 TBS. vital wheat gluten
14-16 c. wheat flour, (½ white wheat, ½ red wheat, or may use 3 c. spelt)
2 TBS salt

Combine water, oil, honey, dough conditioner, instant yeast and gluten in Bosch, with 6 c. wheat flour.  Beat well.  (1 min.)   Let raise 15 minutes in Bosch bowl, with both lids on. Remove small top lid, and add salt and remaining flour to make dough kneading consistency. Knead 8 minutes in mixer, or by hand.  Divide into loaves, 4 or 5 equal portions.  Form into loaves.  Put into well greased bread pans.  Cover, and raise until rounded.  Bake in preheated oven at 375o   25 minutes for 5 loaves, 30 min for 4 loaves.  Remove bread from pans, cool 5-10 min.  Brush warm bread lightly with butter.  If you butter it while hot, the crust bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment