Monday, December 17, 2012

Opinion: I think I'll leave my skirt on

I have recently heard of a feminist movement by some of the women in the LDS church.  Apparently they feel the gender roles in the church are too rigid for them and they need to make a statement by wearing pants to church last Sunday. It really makes me sad that some women feel this way and are choosing to act out in this manner.  A few thoughts...
1. Yes we typically wear skirts and dresses to church.  This is not because the men insist on it.  We have woman leaders in the church as well and I am pretty much 100% positive they would recommend the same thing.  Also if you have ever paid attention you would probably notice they recommend a dress code for the men as well.  Have you ever seen an Elder in a florescent shirt and purple pants?  Doubtful.  This is because we "choose" to represent our savior as well as ourselves.  The best way to do this is not by being overly outrageous in our dress but simple, tasteful, and modest.
2.   Our church meetings are for worshiping our Savior not for your own agenda.  The sacrament is for renewing our covenants we made at baptism and is sacred.  Christ should be the sole focus, not clothing.
3.  If you have an understanding of this gospel I am not sure how this is even a discussion.  Our faith continuously highlights the importance of woman in the church and how wonderful they are.  In the Daughters of Our Kingdom manual pg 143 Gordon B. Hinckley said,
"Let me say to you sisters that you do not hold a second place in our Father's plan for the eternal happiness and well-being of His children.  You are an absolutely essential part of that plan.  Without you the plan could not function.  Without you the entire program would be frustrated...
Each of you is a daughter of God, endowed with a divine birthright.  You need no defense of that position...
There is strength and great capacity in the women of this Church.  There is leadership and direction, a certain spirit of independence, and yet great satisfaction in being a part of this the Lord's kingdom, and of working hand in hand with the priesthood to move it forward."
Our role as woman in the church is of great importance.  I know our leaders love and support us and would never wish for us to feel inferior to them.  We are to work together to bring this great work forth and to serve one another.

5 comments:

  1. I have felt nothing but love compassion and support from the righteous men in our church. Sad to see women unhappy with their sacred roles as women in the gospel. Loved your scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great thought Janae. I am right there with you, thinking how can we even be having this discussion. Your testimony is so strong! I love it. I love you! I'll see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really great Janae, I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful thoughts! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete