Saturday, January 4, 2014

Sugar Detox Re-Routed & a Trip to Logan

So I have almost been into my sugar detox 5 days but I have made some changes to the plan.  A few days ago I was getting dizzy and had really low energy.  I talked to a friend that is educated in this area about the detox and she wasn't very thrilled.  She believes that you can curb your sugar cravings in just a few days by just eating balanced meals.  She also highly discouraged only getting one serving of fruit a day and said that fruit will only help keep bad cravings away.  She also warned that by completely getting rid of all sugars especially good ones you could have the opposite effect of a detox and completely binge when your done.  
With her advice and still with a goal in mind I reframed the detox a little.  I am allowing fruit, and I am also allowing whole grains.  I feel so much better and my cravings have still receded.  They are still there but if I keep eating good things and balance my meals I feel a lot better.  Still trying to avoid any process sugars but they are literally everywhere!  It's so difficult but haven't given up yet!  
We took a trip up to Logan this weekend to check on the house and pack a few more things.  It is always emotionally overwhelming to go and visit.  It is hard to know you will be leaving a home full of so many wonderful memories such as bringing Liam home, and all of his first's there.  Our neighbors have been absolutely incredible while we have been away too.  Our walks were shoveled, and they have taken turns checking on the house and pipes.  I am overwhelmed by their kindness and my heart still aches even though we have been gone a while.  One more trip up there to pack up a moving van and that will be it.  On to new things and new places.  I am trying to just be grateful for the time we had there!

Anyway back to the Detox here are two recipes that have helped curb my sweet tooth.

Chia Seed Pudding
1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Coconut Milk
3 Tbls Chia Seeds
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
(and some honey if you want to sweeten it up)
Mix ingredients and let gel for a minute.  Mix again and let set up in fridge for at least 1 hour.  Add some berries on top and enjoy.

 Sugar Free Orange Julius
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Almond Milk
1 Peeled med-large Orange
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp vanilla
6-7 Ice Cubes
(also you can add some honey for sweetness or agave)
Blend until nice and smooth.


1 comment: