Saturday, June 1, 2013

Milli's Birth Story

So like I said in the previous post, Milli is the foster Chihuahua we have been hosting at our home.  When I got her they knew she was pregnant but not from who, how long, how many puppies, or anything helpful.  I even paid to take her to a vet to try and get some more info but dogs are a lot harder than people apparently because they couldn't tell me much either.  So after having her almost two weeks the night finally came.

I had a whelping bed set up for her in a separate room and at two in the morning I heard the worst yelping I have ever heard from a dog. I ran in and she ran over to me and I heard a second set of crying.  The puppy was already half way out on my leg.  Poor Milli was in so much pain but the puppy was alert and moving around like crazy.

You can probably tell at this point Milli decided to go natural...haha but seriously if I could have given her an epidural I probably would of!  It was terrifying!  Over the next hour she did amazing doing everything she was supposed to.  She cut the chord and ate the placenta.  Dogs are supposed to do this because its incredibly nutritious, it helps with the contractions, and the milk come in.  The next puppy was even more painful than the first.  It also wasn't moving at first and I was freaking out.  After some rubbing with a towel and licks from Mom it started doing a lot better.

Milli wasn't cutting the chord though and seemed to be in even more pain!  I felt terrible and was panicking after 30 min.  I thought the coming placenta was what was causing so much pain so I tried to move the puppy closer to her and thought I saw the placenta but quickly realized it was the third puppy still in the sac.  Milli's crying woke up the entire house and I was literally shaking.  When the puppy came out Milli and I were both working on getting off the sac and this puppy also needed some rubbing to get it going.  After 15 minutes all the puppies were nursing and Milli seemed to be calmer.  I was crossing my fingers that was the last of it but had no way of knowing for sure.  I'm so glad it was and Milli did great again cutting the chords and getting her pups all cleaned up.

So when I was sure we were all done I checked for sexes and the first pup born was jet black like its momma and was a boy.  The next two look identical to me and they are the same size so I am not even sure which one is the runt.  They are both chestnut colored with black masks and one is a boy and one is a girl. It was a great experience but I won't be looking to do it again any time soon.  Also we have loved having Milli.  She is truly the sweetest dog I have ever met and all she wants is to be loved, petted, and rubbed.  She will even roll over for Liam to get some of his harder pets.  She has also been a great momma to her pups and they are all healthy and happy!





No comments:

Post a Comment