Thursday, March 9, 2017

Life Sketch of my Brother Jory Robert Hurtado


Jory's Life Sketch by Janae and Jared
My brother Jory Robert Hurtado was born June 8th, 1976 in Vicenza, Italy to Jess and Joan Hurtado.  Jory was always proud to say he was born in Italy even though his time there was short.
When Jory was 15 months old him and our oldest brother Joel moved to Miami, Florida with our parents where they spent the next 3 years.  

At age 4 our family moved to Utah where he resided the rest of his life. Jory was the second oldest boy in the family.  He shared a close competitive relationship with his older brother Joel and also welcomed our third brother Jared, and lastly me Janae into the family. 
As a young boy he loved to go on trips with our family to Lake Powell refusing to wear sunscreen and always getting terribly sun burnt.  He loved water skiing on one ski, tubing, and jumping off cliffs.  He was fearless and loved an adrenalin rush.


Jory also developed a deep love for attending University of Utah football games. His family started tailgating early on and was a tradition they enjoyed together for many years. 
Jory loved playing sports with his brothers, especially soccer.  He followed in his older brothers footsteps playing for American Fork High School.  He was known to many of his teammates as fearless and the Kamakazi.  This is also where his physical traits were noticed earning him the yearbook award of Best Legs. 
Jory also enjoyed playing the Trombone just like his Grandpa Stastny.  He was able to play in the very competitive American Fork High School Marching band as a freshman in one of his mothers favorite shows Fiddler on the Roof.
  After High school Jory chose to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  He was called to serve in Taichung, Taiwan Mandarin speaking mission.  It wasn’t hard to see how much Jory loved the country of Taiwan, he loved talking about the people, culture, and food.  It really sparked Jorys love and interest in travel and different cultures.
After returning home from his mission Jory attended school at the University of Utah, and worked part time at Snowbird ski resort.  Jory met Sarah Busker and was very taken by her.  He even lied about his  snowboarding skills just to spend some time with her.  It seemed to have worked in his favor because in 2000 Sarah and Jory were married in San Diego California.   
In 2003 Jory and Sarah welcomed a beautiful baby girl into the world named Alyvia Grace who instantly became the light and joy of their life.  Jory and Sarah were later divorced; however, remained dedicated co-parents and close friends. 

  Jory graduated with his degree in The Bachelor of Arts fulfilling his dream of graduating from the U.
Jory battled anxiety, depression, and drug addiction during the later years of his life.  He had recently earned many sobriety tags that he was very proud of and kept with him at all times.
Our fondest memories of Jory are of him being a goof ball, never backing away from a challenge, fearless, easy to laugh, the center of attention, and demonstrating his incredibly high tolerance to pain. 
Jory always was gifted with artistic abilities.  He created some beautiful paintings including the one displayed here today.  You can clearly see his love of Lake Powell and how meaningful it was for him.
Jory also enjoyed coin collecting, watching movies, listening to a huge variety of music, playing games, and overall being with his daughter Alyvia who was the love of Jory's life. 

Aly and Jory shared many wonderful adventures together tubing at Lake Powell, going to movies at the theatre, and playing video games together.  They had a very special bond and loved being goof balls.  Aly inherited Jorys love of an adrenaline rush.  They spent countless hours going as fast as they could on tubes at lake Powell laughing the entire time. Jory passed on his love of the mountains to her teaching her how to ski.  They also loved being in Disneyland and going on crazy roller coasters over and over again.  We know Jory will be continue to be her guardian angel and watch over her.  She will always be his Aly Cat.

 He will be missed dearly by his family and friends, and thought of often.  


Personal Thoughts

I have never experienced the kind of pain I feel after losing Jory.  I have seen close family friends, and even my sweet husband Jason go through the same loss of losing a brother, my heart broke for them and I did my best to empathize but now after going through it I now understand the pain is so much deeper than I imagined.  It is a testimony to me that we are put in certain families for a reason and Jory was my brother for a reason.  It is confusing because Jory and I were not very close the last few years, but now that he is gone it's like a part of me went with him.  I know I will be missing that part of me until I join my brother one day after this life.  
Jason and I have now both lost brothers and other extended family members to issues related to drug abuse and addiction.  I know Jory didn't want to leave us, it was an accidental overdose but it still doesn't change that he was participating in something that was extremely dangerous.  It wasn't a total shock to us but we had hope that maybe things could be better.  He had already lost so much and ultimately his life.  I know Jory is at peace and in a better place.  I know that he no longer has the pains of a drug addicted body.  I also know that he would have never chosen to leave his precious daughter behind.  He loved her more than anything and would never choose to leave her no matter what.  Thats how powerful drugs are.  They steal everything from you.  I hope somehow through awareness and education I can be an advocate for drug and alcohol abuse.  I hope that maybe I can save a family somewhere from the pain and heartache we are experiencing.  Mostly I hope Jory's story can help someone else from the same fate.  He loved life, and he would want others to do the same.
I love you Jory.

4 comments:

  1. Janae, This is a special tribute to your brother. We love him, and will miss him everyday! Love you. Aunt Janene and Uncle Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I just found this! Thank you for sharing these very sweet memories of Jory! Tearful and touching! We miss him so much! Love you mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely beautiful, Janae. I'm so grateful for you! I miss Jory every day. And like you said, it's like a part of me is missing. I truly believe that sharing memories and speaking openly about him helps to heal. Thank you so much for sharing. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love - Love - Love ... still can hardly believe he is gone. So surreal - wish I could change it. Must trust in the Lord. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete